We will learn how to take the dark gloomy non attractive interior photo and turn it into a light and bright inviting home with a few simple steps in photoshop. Below is the before (left) and after (right).
Open up your image in photoshop and Let’s get learning!
1. Let’s make the dark areas lighter and the super bright areas a little darker.
- Goto Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight…
-Shadows: Takes all of the dark areas and makes them lighter.
-Highlights: Takes all the light (blown out) areas and makes them darker.
Play with the sliders until your photo is looking like you would like it (Don’t over do it). Generally Shadows +30ish and Highlights +5-10. Then click OK.
2. Let photoshop do some work with auto adjustments:
- Goto Image > Adjustments > Auto Levels
- Goto Image > Adjustments > Auto Contrast
- Goto Image > Adjustments > Auto Color
3. Let’s brighten up the picture.
- Goto Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast…
Generally raise the brightness +30 and to give the image some dynamics slightly up the contrast +10. Again play with these numbers to best fit your photo. Press OK.
4. Let’s make the colors really POP!
- Goto Image > Adjusments > Hue/Saturation…
The only slider you need to worry about is the saturation (middle) one. Raise the levels to best fit your photo, generally +20-30. Click OK.
5. Let’s sharpen this puppy up!
- Goto Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen Edges
This will make the image a little more crisp without overdoing it!